Ask Dr. John






With new allergens seeming to appear from out of nowhere and thousands of organic foods now available, Dr John Nowicki, a licensed Naturopathic Doctor, offers insights, product advice, and thoughts surrounding these and other health and nutrition matters.


Dr. John has partnered with the Organic Wholesale Club to offer organic foods at 20-30% below standard retail. Check them out here.

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Gluten Free (not taste free) Pizza

Pizza is absolutely my favorite food. Growing up on the East Coast it was a staple in my diet. Friday night was pizza night. And during the Summer months, pizza was lunch...everyday! So when I found out I couldn't eat gluten (wheat) and cheese, my first thought was, "no pizza?" The year after I was diagnosed with food sensitivities, I continued to eat pizza. And I paid for it. Migraine headaches, diarrhea, abdominal cramping, vomiting...bad news bears.

For many years, I went without pizza (insert sad song here). Well, that's not entirely true. I ate "regular" pizza and umm, no need to go into further details about the outcome. I tried some gluten free pizza options, but to be honest, they tasted like cardboard. But that was years ago. The good news is that there are now several gluten free pizza options in the marketplace! For those of you with wheat intolerance, wheat allergies, or gluten sensitivity (celiac disease), one of the best resources out there is http://www.celiac.com/. Check out some gluten free pizza recipes by clicking here.

There are also several easy gluten free pizza crust products available to make your own pizza at home. Arrowhead Mills, Bob's Red Mill, and Namaste Foods are three great options.

So for all of you gluten intolerant pizza lovers out there, there's hope. Pizza does not need to be a distant memory. Nor does it have to taste like cardboard. Healthy, delicious options are available at the click of your mouse.

No comments:

Post a Comment